Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Week of Presentations

Students Preparing for Presentation
This week I have all of the undergraduate classes which I am teaching this semester lined up for team presentations. The presentations started on the first day of week twelve with the Monday morning BUS237 Section 3 class. Early in the semester, the students were assigned to propose several topics of their choice from any topic within the field of Management Information Systems. After their initial topic research, they have to send me a list of their topic choices. And then, I would determine which would be the most suitable topic from the three they proposed.

Class Presentations
The topic approval would usually take place some time in week four of the semester. Once the topics have been announced, students can start immediately with tasks assignment and to gather more information.

They have the rest of the semester to continue with the research, tabulate data and interpret the results. There is no fixed format for the students to follow but they can only use Microsoft Office Power Point Presentation as a medium in their presentations. The final delivery which always takes place in week twelve of each semester consist of oral and slide presentations.

Final Group Assignment
From observations, I have come to understand that majority of students never use the entire period of time to work on their preparations but only start working on their presentations about two weeks before due date. The better prepared teams usually prepare much earlier.

Each semester, depending on the number of sections I am teaching, I usually listen to approximately twenty four to thirty presentations.

Q&A Session
If I am assigned graduate classes to teach that same semester, I would have a lot more presentations to observe. Therefore, during week twelve, I am especially busy with students' presentations. Following all these presentations, I still have to mark their reports and slide presentations. Generally, the students do well in the presentations as they would have gone through several lessons on presentation techniques covering verbal, non-verbal, and slide presentations.

No comments: