Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Study Methods: How to Study for Exams

Talking about Study Methods
Every semester I would conduct this workshop as part of the support to the many international students that were involved in my mentorship program group. I started this workshop about two years ago for the benefit of the students that were enrolled in my classes but later realized that the workshop would be useful for the entire international student community. So, I opened the workshop's  participation to everyone that was interested to learn how to study for exams. Words got around and students that followed my advice really benefitted from the tips I shared in the workshop. Today, we had a little more than thirty students that came to the workshop voluntarily.

How to study for exams
In the workshop, I also spoke about my personal experiences when I was an undergraduate student and how I would prepare for exams. I strictly followed a step-by-step plan that I have learned during my days in the military school. These same steps have allowed me to enjoy both my student life and succeed in my studies with distinctions. No matter how many times I have conducted this workshop and to as many students, experience has shown that only a handful of students could and were willing to adopt a strict plan. Even during the days as an undergraduate student, there were only a few among my course mates that were willing to adopt a plan and following the plan strictly.

Sharing Experiences
Naturally, people resist change. We rather do the things and surround ourselves with the people that we were familiar with. We are afraid of change or the unknown. We always seek to do the things that are most comfortable to us. To give further encouragement to the students attending the workshop, I focused simplicity and understanding the students' priority. The talk basically focuses on the three fundamental keys to succeed in exams and further elaborated on the importance of following a step-by-step plan. My goal was to make the students realized the importance of managing their own expectations and setting the right priority.

No comments: