Thursday, September 27, 2007

Being negative will not get you anywhere

I have spoke in no lesser than 100 previews, trainings, seminars and facilitations. I usually create a happy and open atmosphere for the audience to enjoy my talks. And the saddest is when there are people which would interrupt the rest of the audience with their negative attitudes. But through out my speaking experience I have only encountered 2 that is really difficult.

Just yesterday, one of the two returned to attend one of my seminar. But having recognized earlier by my staff, we were ready for him. The instructions were to disallow him from entering the seminar room.

This particular individual was one of the many participants in an Internet program we organized several years ago. He wanted more freebies after the workshop. He particularly wanted to have the DVDs that we sold during the workshop for free. When we told him that he would have to purchase it, he began to write nasty emails to us and say things that he did not really mean. We initially allowed him to attend some of our other seminars but he started writing nasty things after each one.

Yesterday, I told him that we will not be able to meet his requirements and of the things he had said about the things we do, so there is no point in attending our events as he had stated earlier in his emails that he will never come to our events anymore. I also notice that he can not take critiques, because he got real angry after that.

Lesson from this is never say bad things about others, if you have nothing good to say just shut up. This person wants to come back to the events we organize is because he found us to be the better one than others he had attended.

I would rather spend time and energy with positive people and leave the negative out of my community.

No comments: