Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Study Methods Workshop

Study Methods Workshop
Like the LinkedIn workshop, I also facilitate the Study Methods workshop in Fraser International College once a semester. I will usually conduct the workshop after the midterm exams and about a month before the final exams. Although, the workshop was opened to the FIC community, only a handful of students turned up for the workshop. But still, it was a good turn out, just slightly more than thirty five students at the workshop, which was a decent number of participants for any workshop in FIC. I used power point slides as the main tool to deliver my presentation. And hand out printed notes that summarizes the material I have shared at the end of the presentation.

Emphasizing a key point
Other than sharing my own past experiences when I was a university student, I also provided crucial study tips as to how to prepare for exams. One of the most important key to succeeding in exam was discipline. I used to follow a regimented schedule, not allowing distractions from among some of the activities like. For instance, I have a specific time for daily gym workouts and even time spared for other forms of recreation. I don't allow distractions in my study schedule unless it was really an emergency. I was that focused to do well.

Fullhouse
Another important trait that I have when revising for exams was that I was really thorough and detailed on my notes. I would usually read the lecture material first. And then, write notes based on the material from the textbook before each lecture. After the lecture, I would compare my notes against the material shared by the professor, I will rewrite the notes adding in the material that I have just missed out or just mentioned by the professor. I always want my notes to be concise and complete. It makes my revision for exams so much easier and within my control. I may put in a lot of hours into my studies but I was a student. And students were expected to study. The one thing I learned about being a good student is that there are no short cuts. Just like building a career, focus, dedication and hard work are the only solutions for success.

No comments: